An Am Law 50 law firm with 16 offices worldwide, has an opening for a Business Development Specialist within their Marketing department in their Washington, DC office.
Drive revenue to a billion-dollar, global law firm by working closely Chief Marketing Officer and Partners in their premier IP Litigation practice to develop and sustain loyal client base for increased work, revenues, and profitability. With management, makes recommendations into, creates, and implements business development plans. Researches and identifies opportunities for promoting and cross‑selling. Conducts research and competitive analysis to identify opportunities to deepen existing client relationships, expand the client base, and increase external and internal visibility. Executes on targeted marketing methods including social media strategies, CLE seminars, organizational affiliations, and initiatives. Develops customized pitches/RFPs, presentations, and marketing materials. Ensures meticulous execution of all projects and work, with data and content consistently accurate and well presented. Attains synergies for all marketing programs through effective collaboration. Ensures client service and satisfaction are attained in all areas of the position.
Develop Marketing Plans
- Recommend and develop concise and actionable business development and marketing plans, with underlying budget recommendations, collaborating closely with Sr. Business Development Manager to ensure plans integrate with and support firmwide business development and marketing strategies. Collaborate with other relevant practice groups to promote cross-sharing ideas. Consistently demonstrate the value that Marketing Department resources can bring to bear in meeting the firm’s financial and practice goals.
- Make recommendations to practice group leaders on a broad range of business development and marketing strategies, demonstrating understanding of practice group and industry norms, terms, and business procedures. Encourage engagement and collaboration by facilitating the development of business plans within each group and other relevant practice groups.
- Keep abreast of developments in the law for assigned groups and relevant industries that could result in expanded or new client opportunities, etc. Develop proactive responses to advance business development.
Deploy Marketing Initiatives
- Implement business development and marketing plans for assigned practice groups, ensuring that projects are effectively communicated and managed within budget.
- Draft and maintain creative practice group marketing materials, including practice group descriptions, bios, and content for the website. Writing projects may include customized content for pitches and RFPs.
- Conduct competitive intelligence and research of prospective targets, industries, markets, and conflicts via firmwide resources.
- Proactively participate in key industry networks, identifying partnership opportunities to enhance the position of the firm or practice groups in the market place.
- Participate in completing timely submissions to directories and ranking authorities, ensure rankings in preferred publications, such as Chambers & Partners, are maximized.
- Produce client development seminars, collaborating closely with practice groups and Marketing Department. Assist with all stages of seminar development and implementation, from targeting attendance participation to leading action-oriented follow-up.
- Identify speaking and sponsorship opportunities, collaborating closely with practice group leaders and Marketing Department; target appropriate membership opportunities, etc.; create visibility; and advance business development goals.
- Assist assigned practice groups and individual partners to prepare for client pitches; track results of pitches and prepare responsive reports and analyses incorporating strategies for increasing effectiveness.
Collaborate with Marketing Managers and Staff
- Identify cross-selling opportunities through collecting and proactively sharing information with other business development managers and the Marketing team.
- Ensure strong intra-departmental communication, client service, and seamless deployment of marketing programs, collaborating closely with managers and staff in all areas of Marketing.
- Develop supportive relationships with offices where practice group attorneys are located, and ensure that business development and marketing support is collaboratively provided.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required. At least five years of relevant experience in professional services marketing; law firm experience preferred.
- Working knowledge of litigation practices preferred. IP Litigation experience a plus.
- Strong knowledge of core marketing principles including driving innovative tools and programs, competitive intelligence, market research, and pitch and RFP responses.
Salary: Highly competitive above market merit based compensation
Date Active: 8.30.2021
Exempt/Not Exempt: Non-Exempt