New York, NY, San Francisco, CA, or Dallas, TX
The Business Development Manager will support and work closely with partners to develop and implement the business development and marketing strategies for the firm’s U.S. Financial Restructuring & Insolvency group. This role will require frequent collaboration with other practice groups in the US and internationally, as well as close cooperation and teamwork with other members of the global Marketing and Business Development team.
Firm’s Financial Restructuring & Insolvency practice helps clients, both debtors and creditors, successfully navigate all aspects of highly complicated, multi-jurisdictional restructuring matters and obtain the best possible outcomes. Our attorneys have been involved in many of the largest and most complex cross-border restructuring matters worldwide. We routinely provide comprehensive advice to clients who need distressed loan workouts, swaps, asset sales and litigation. We work closely with our capital markets attorneys, particularly those focused on the high yield market, and have a long tradition of working with derivatives, structured products and leveraged finance structures.
Key objectives for this role are to generate revenue through strategic business development activities; raise the market profile of the partners and the practices; and coordinate efforts with international colleagues and other marketing team members on global cross-selling efforts, including providing support for client teams, industry groups and other firm-wide business development initiatives.
Business Development & Marketing
- Work with the respective partners to develop and execute on business development strategies and efforts across offices for the Financial Restructuring & Insolvency practice.
- Draft and take ownership of pitches, client presentations and responses to RFPs, always tailored to the client’s business and preferences.
- Conduct research and financial analyses and provide other marketing support as requested for supporting targeted business development opportunities.
- Assist in the development and tracking of marketing plans and marketing budgets, individual partner goals and targeted business development initiatives.
- Draft, update, organize and maintain brochures, web postings and other marketing collateral.
- Draft submissions for directory and research guides, and track awards and practice group specific directory submissions.
- Draft, update, organize and maintain marketing collateral and experience on the external and internal websites and/or various databases as required.
- Identify and assist in the coordination of profile-raising opportunities, including conferences, external speaking engagements, sponsorships, client alerts and article-placements.
- Work with the firm’s Marketing Communications team to develop and implement external communications and media opportunities, including speaking and by-lined article and thought leadership opportunities.
- Identify, plan and execute in-house client events, external speaking engagements, and conferences.
- Work with marketing and business development colleagues around the world to develop internal best practices and to carry out cross-border, cross-practice business development initiatives.
- Work with Knowledge Management to define and implement industry requirements for market data capture.
- Other projects and duties, as assigned.
Strategic Planning and Execution
- Assist in the development and implementation of business plans and marketing budgets.
- Work with practice group leadership to achieve firm and practice group strategy, guided by revenue generation and cross-practice and cross-office collaboration.
- Help create, implement and monitor practice group business plan, consistent with practice group, business unit and firm strategy, keeping practice group leadership apprised of progress and suggesting proactive measures to achieve goals.
- Organize and attend regular practice group partner meetings (e.g., partner lunches, roundtables and individual meetings) to ensure and support regular and effective communication on issues and opportunities relating to practice and business development, and team management and financial performance.
- Support business development and practice group off-sites from a substantive and operational standpoint.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
- Strong and demonstrable understanding of bankruptcy terminology, types of matters, and the marketing of these services to existing and prospective clients.
- Knowledge of market analysis, including key financial and bankruptcy business development databases and systems.
- Credible understanding of business and legal landscape.
- Very strong attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to identify and implement solutions to business and people issues.
- Creative problem-solving skills; superior analytical skills.
- Ability to review corporate financing documents and extrapolate relevant information is a plus.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and demonstrable ability to establish alignment between the expectations and strategies of different stakeholder groups.
- Superior ability to prioritize and manage multiple, concurrent projects.
- Ability to develop and deliver executive-level presentations.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong team-building, people development, motivational and managerial capabilities.
- Confident, flexible and resilient team player.
- Manages risk effectively.
- Communicates complex ideas effectively.
- Strong negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Adapts style to build relationships across all levels.
- Works effectively under the pressure of deadlines with little supervision.
Education & Experience
- Minimum of 10 years of frontline work experience in business development and marketing preferably in an international law firm or professional services environment.
- Equivalent of 4 year college degree required.
- Relevant graduate degree a plus.
- Experience with planning and preparing pitches, presentations and other marketing materials required.
- Experience working across variety of office locations, cultures and time zones.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, InterAction; familiarity in working with any desktop publishing software would be a plus.
Salary: $150,000.00-$175,000.00, dependent on experience
Date Active: 3.23.2022
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt