Los Angeles, CA; Palo Alto, CA; San Francisco, CA; New York, NY; Washington, DC
We are looking for a strategic, results-oriented business development manager to support the business development plans and initiatives for a number of areas including energy and environmental, public policy, election and political law, and communications and media. This position will work closely with the Assistant Director of Business Development – Regulatory, the practice and industry group leaders, and the broader Marketing and Business Development (BD) team to ensure effective business development, marketing, and external communications programs.
Strategy and Business Planning
- Work alongside the senior lawyers on strategy for practice groups and subgroups.
- Work with key lawyer stakeholders and other Marketing and BD team members to develop business plans for the groups and individuals. The BD Manager will ensure that plans have clearly stated milestones, are tied to the Firm’s business goals, and will regularly monitor the plans for progress.
- Develop and monitor marketing and BD budgets for the relevant practice and industry groups, review monthly general ledgers for accuracy.
- Work with practice and industry group leaders on meeting preparation and follow-up for quarterly meetings with the Firm’s Management Committee.
Business and Client Development
- Work with other Marketing and BD team members, as well as key lawyer stakeholders, to identify clients and contacts who should be targeted for specific opportunities.
- Work directly with lawyers to implement business development initiatives and programs around new business generation with existing and new clients.
- Prepare specific client pitch materials, including responses to RFPs, and conduct preparatory sessions with lawyers prior to client meetings. Track win/loss record.
- Leverage Firm’s Marketing Research team to analyze market opportunities and to assist lawyers/groups in preparation for client meetings.
- Coordinate with members of the BD team on cross-practice efforts for regional/industry initiatives.
- Work with members of the Client Relationship Manager program to maintain and expand relationships with targeted clients.
- Support strategic and logistical aspects of the lateral integration planning process for new lawyers in relevant practices.
- Identify and evaluate sponsorship and speaking opportunities at conferences and seminars and ensure effective participation.
- Recommend thought leadership and CLE programs for clients.
- Provide support for client events, including concept development, invitation creation and specified logistics, and follow-up.
- Ensure well-written, updated representative client lists and matters/deal descriptions. Maintain descriptions in Firm experience database.
- Draft concise, targeted submissions for relevant practices for directory listings and other awards, including Chambers.
- Assist with the editing, layout, and production of Firm and practice group client alerts and other communications.
- Develop practice-specific and geographic-focused marketing materials.
- Develop and maintain website content, newsletters/blogs, brochures, and other external communication pieces related to relevant practices and geographic initiatives.
- With support from the CRM team, develop and maintain segmented client and prospect mailing lists.
- Work closely with and help supervise the BD specialists in the regulatory group.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, communications, or related field.
- Minimum of three years of experience in professional services marketing and business development. Demonstrated background of accomplishment in marketing and business development. Previous law firm experience is highly desirable.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and written and oral communications skills.
- Demonstrated leadership and proactivity/initiative.
- High level of accountability on all work product and ability to effectively juggle multiple projects.
- Experience supervising direct reports a plus.
- Ability to provide consistent and high quality work under tight deadlines and other pressures while maintaining a professional demeanor.
- Experience and facilitate with information technology and software for marketing the practice group, including website, databases, and knowledge management tools.
- Proficiency with Word, PowerPoint, and Excel required. InterAction, Adobe, Asana, Xcelerate, and Publisher skills a plus.
Starts at $120,000 and goes up, depending on experience and location. This position is exempt.
Salary: 120,000+, based on experience and location
Date Active: 9.23.2023
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt