The Manager – Business Development works with lawyers and other Business Development staff to assist with efforts to generate increased business for the Firm. They will leverage research, writing, technical and communication skills to coordinate initiatives of the Firm’s global practice areas and related sub-groups, in particular for the Latin America regional practice. The Business Development Manager will also work with other senior BD team members to liaise with Firm lawyers and staff members in departments including Learning & Development, Knowledge Management and Recruiting to support internal and external practice development initiatives, and on other tasks as they pertain to the maintenance and growth of the practice.
The Manager will report to the Associate Director – Business Development and will have oversight of a team of BD Coordinators and Analysts.
The scheduled hours for this position are 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. The incumbent will be required to work overtime depending on the needs of the practice area lawyers and business development department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Support partners in their efforts to manage existing and develop new relationships and identify opportunities for implementing business development initiatives in this regard.
- Keep track of referral sources and ensure communication lines remain open with these sources.
- Work with the CRM database team to support the practice development analysis, by monitoring and improving intelligence on contacts on an ongoing basis.
- Assist partners in preparing targeted presentations (pitch books, short form brochures and deal sheets), in a manner that effectively communicates the Firm’s relevant experience and articulates clear reasons why the Firm should be retained.
- Identify relevant transactional or litigation precedents by industry, geography and type of matter
- Work with the responsible partner to develop key messaging points
- Support Firm efforts to respond to Legal Panel RFPs
- Maintain a complete record of all pitches (of any type). Identify patterns of success and failures in presentations and increase utilization of best practices.
- Work with partners and colleagues to ensure timely updating of all marketing materials, including practice and individual biography collateral, with new deal or matter information, achievements and other relevant information.
- Work with partners on the development of individual business plans. Help partners with their entrepreneurial activities and to focus efforts on the highest value opportunities.
- Coordinate efforts with the Communications, Digital Marketing and Creative Services teams in the practice’s visibility program.
- Oversee and manage one Business Development Analyst and two Business Development Coordinators.
Press Relations and Rankings/Awards
- Collaborate with Communications team to identify relevant Guide opportunities and prepare Chambers submissions, as well as submissions to other relevant legal guides. Ensure positive results are leveraged across marketing channels (print, digital, social).
- Collaborate with Communications team to identify relevant PR/media opportunities/awards and develop the approach and submissions.
Marketing Materials and Research
- Draft compelling marketing descriptions which communicate unique aspects of the matter.
- Support efforts on competitive and market intelligence research. Report market trends to the broader group and to individuals, as appropriate to their practice development interests.
- Collaborate on events to develop compelling client programs/education conferences. Identify and analyze relevant sponsorship opportunities to enhance the Firm’s profile in key regions and sectors.
In addition, responsibilities related to maintaining Firm and client information are to be adhered to by all employees. This includes complying with the Firm’s information security policies, protecting Firm assets from unauthorized access, disclosure, modification, destruction or interference, and reporting security events or potential events or other security risks to management.
- Prior business development experience in a top tier US law firm.
- Spanish Proficiency required.
- Significant understanding of transactional terminology and processes, as well as basic understanding of litigation terminology.
- Familiarity with the competitive legal landscape.
- An ability to reach agreed upon goals with limited supervision.
- A strong team player who can work independently and part of the global BD team.
- Excellent writing, editing, analytical, research and organizational skills, with a high level of attention to detail. (a writing test is required).
- Proficiency in standard spreadsheet, database, word processing and presentation applications (e.g., Excel, Access, Word, PowerPoint and SharePoint are pluses), as well as with a variety of online and new media information resources. Knowledge of any CRM system is also helpful. The Firm provides additional training in core software programs, if needed, to enhance skills and speed of work.
- An ability to handle time-sensitive requests from multiple lawyers, across time zones, and to generate quality work product in a fast-paced environment. Deadline oriented.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; a confident, professional manner that will come across easily and effectively with the Firm’s most senior lawyers and staff.
- A commitment to the highest standards of excellence and professionalism.
Education and/or experience
- Five + years of experience working for a law firm, financial institution, or other professional services firm.
- Experience with presenting to and business writing at the Executive/Partner level.
- BA or equivalent required; JD, MBA or other applicable graduate degree is a plus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Salary: $150,000 – $190,000, depending on experience
Date Active: August 2, 2022
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt