New York, NY
Working in a fast-paced environment, the Business Development Manager, FinTech is an exciting, hands-on role that will support and work closely with senior partners and a wider transatlantic FinTech team to help drive and implement the business development and marketing strategies for the firm’s FinTech industry group. The role will involve working across transactional and advisory practices to advance pro-active business development related initiatives, lead pitches for new business, and enhance the external market profile of the firm’s FinTech efforts globally among other duties that may be assigned.
- Drive the FinTech industry group’s efforts to implement the business strategy, activate partner plans and targeted business development efforts.
- Manage and proactively drive pipeline of leads and business development opportunities across the FinTech industry group
- Research, analyze and compile targeted reports on markets, new client opportunities (FinTechs, venture and FIs), competitors and key trends in the FinTech industry, helping to inform Firm’s approach to the market.
- Assist with the planning and management of the FinTech budget
- Assist in delivering the FinTech Foundry program working closely with PR/communications, practice-based BD teams and other business services teams and departments.
- Manage strategic partnership relationships with external industry partners by developing engagements to support the FinTech Foundry program and accomplish overarching strategic business development objectives.
- Manage pitches and proposals, working closely with practice group BD teams and track success rates in the client relationship management database; collaborate with the wider BD team to ensure best practice is followed.
- Scan the marketplace for key client opportunities including identifying deal leads and rumors regarding the Firm’s clients and client targets, and ensure this information is shared amongst the FinTech industry group.
- Lead on collaboration and foster a culture of creativity, innovation, and value that reflects the FinTech business strategy as a whole.
- Identify industry award opportunities and prepare relevant legal directory submissions; coordinate interview calls; prepare relevant partner briefing packs.
- Help identify appropriate industry events, speaking engagements and conferences; conduct necessary follow-up and track ROI.
- Coordinate with the Events team on events and conferences including logistics planning and production, both in-house and externally, including on-site and virtual event support as needed.
- Manage quarterly internal FinTech calls and teach-in training sessions, including planning, setting the agenda, taking notes, distributing discussion points and following up on actions.
- Manage the Firm FinTech mailbox for new business opportunities
- Collaborate with members of the BD, Marketing, Design and Communications teams to ensure regular review and maintenance of marketing content (brochures, collateral, capability presentations, web content, attorney bios, client mailing lists, etc.).
- Coordinate with the PR/Communications team and external agencies to identify media opportunities for partners.
- Work with the Communications team and Professional Support Lawyers to support flow of content for FinTech blog postings and thought leadership that are oriented towards the broader FinTech ecosystem.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and demonstrable ability to establish alignment between the expectations and strategies of different stakeholders, adapting style to build relationships across all levels.
- Ability to establish credibility as a strategic stakeholder within the FinTech industry, as well as with leadership and other operational teams.
- Strong understanding of business strategy and legal landscape; ability to map firm’s vision and long-term thinking, imagination, and idea generation.
- Ability to identify and implement solutions to improve processes, products, and client experience, whilst demonstrating initiative and resourcefulness.
- Proven ability to quickly learn new information, applications, processes, and procedures and able to identify gaps and areas that need improvement.
- Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Creative and energized team player with effective listening, strong negotiation, and resolution-oriented skills.
- Ability to prioritize and oversee multiple projects in a fast-paced international working environment.
- Demonstrates a strong client service orientation.
- Ability to analyze qualitative data; demonstrating strong analytical, statistical, quantitative, and deduction skills.
- Demonstrates the capacity to manage changing priorities and ambiguity while remaining calm and controlled.
- Conveys a “can do” attitude and positive outlook.
Education & Experience
- Minimum of 5-7 years of work experience with involvement in the FinTech or related industry.
- Experience working in a FinTech, international law firm or professional services environment is preferred, with business development experience.
- Equivalent of 4-year college degree required.
- Experience with planning and preparing pitches, presentations and other marketing materials required.
- Experience working across variety of time zones and cultures due to the transatlantic nature of the FinTech group.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, InterAction; familiarity in working with any desktop publishing software or other CRM systems would be advantageous.
Physical Activity/Other Miscellaneous
- Flexibility to travel and work extended hours as needed.
Date Active: 6.28.2022
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt