The Assistant – Business Development works with Business Development Analysts, Coordinators, Managers, other marketing staff and lawyers to assist with efforts to generate increased business for the Firm. They will leverage research, writing, technical and communication skills to support the Firm’s global practice areas and related sub-groups, including especially related the practice areas of Latin America, Africa, Project Development and Finance, Credit and Leveraged Finance, Infrastructure, CFIUS, and Energy and Natural Resources. The Assistant will also work with more senior BD team members to liaise with Firm lawyers and staff members in departments including Knowledge Management, Professional Development & Training, Events and Recruiting to support internal and external practice development initiatives, and on other tasks as they pertain to the maintenance and growth of the practice internally and externally.
The scheduled hours for this position are 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. The incumbent will be required to work overtime depending on the needs of the practice area lawyers and Business Development department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
The Business Development Assistant will work with Analysts and Managers, at their discretion, to
- Identify relevant precedents by industry, geography and type of transaction or matter to assist in preparing targeted materials (pitch books, brochures, trifolds, duofolds and other presentations or collateral), in a manner that effectively communicates the Firm’s relevant experience and articulates clear reasons why the Firm should be retained.
- Update and maintain certain standard pitch files and-collateral.
- Update lawyer biographies across multiple channels (print, digital).
- Maintain a complete record of all pitches, research, and meetings (of any type, including in particular as relates to our relationship with local counsel).
- Complete production aspects (editing, fact checking, proofreading, assembling) to ensure materials are delivered accurately and on time.
- Assist in preparing legal directory and award submissions, including compiling deal lists and draft emails for partners to send to references.
- Update relevant deal databases, contact and activity information in the Firm’s client relationship management system (CRM); and assemble daily business and political news clippings, as well as the more extensive reports and digests at the direction of the BD Analyst.
- Assist the BD Analysts in preparing competitive intelligence research to update lawyers on clients, prospects, peers/competitors, and market trends.
- Follow Firm, regional and market news, including as pertains to clients and prospects, as well as local counsel and practice alumni and update lawyers and other relevant support staff.
- Coordinate—with the BD Analyst and partner assistants—practice development trip itinerary planning, organizing meetings and trip preparation (research, materials, printing, etc.), drafting correspondence for partners, and preparing post-trip follow-up, including additional material creation/sending and tracking meeting and correspondence record-keeping.
- Maintain housekeeping of all materials relevant to the practices you assist (including regarding partner and Firm contacts, deal lists, biographies, practice development meetings, referrals, counsel and client relationships).
- Coordinate—with the BD Analyst, Digital Marketing and Communications—to make practice updates to the weekly internal newsletter and the Firm’s website and social media platforms.
- Draft communications for partners related to clients, prospects, local law firm relationships.
- Research conferences and speaking opportunities to help the BD Analysts present suitable marketing opportunities to partners. Support partners with marketing aspects, research and follow-up.
- Assist the BD Analyst and Events with internally-hosted externally-facing events, including as they pertain to clients and alumni, as well as practice group members and summer associates.
- Other duties or special projects may be assigned.
In addition, responsibilities related to maintaining firm and client information are to be adhered to by all employees. This includes complying with the firm’s information security policies, protecting firm assets from unauthorized access, disclosure, modification, destruction, or interference, and reporting security events or potential events or other security risks to management.
- Excellent writing/editing, proofreading, grammar, and research skills (a writing, editing and language test is required).
- Spanish and Portuguese skills preferred.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills, with a high level of attention to detail.
- The ability to work and collaborate as part of a global BD team is essential.
- Proficiency in standard spreadsheet, database, word processing and presentation applications (e.g., Excel, Access, Word, PowerPoint, and SharePoint are pluses), as well as with a variety of online and new media information resources. Knowledge of any CRM system is also helpful. The Firm provides additional training in core software programs, if needed, to enhance skills and speed of work.
- Ability to work in a demanding professional environment to handle time-sensitive requests from multiple lawyers, across time zones, and to generate quality work product in a fast-paced environment.
- A commitment to the highest standards of excellence and professionalism.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- One to three years of experience working for a law firm, financial institution or other professional services firm preferred.
- Personal assistants, paralegals and legal assistants are encouraged to apply.
- BA or equivalent required.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Salary: Open, dependent on experience
Date Active: October 28, 2021
Exempt/Not Exempt: Non-Exempt