The Business Development and Marketing Specialist serves as a liaison primarily to assigned practice teams and reports to the Business Development and Marketing Manager for the Securities Regulation and Enforcement, Banking and Financial Services PATs and FinTech and Blockchain working groups. S/He will work directly with the partners in the group (across various offices worldwide) to develop and execute clear strategies and business plans and manage an aligned range of marketing campaigns/programs, events, communications and key account activity.
Projects may include securing panel and other appointments through the submission of written proposals/pitches; assisting in the maintenance of business development and marketing collateral for the group (including experience databases); monitoring progress against planned priorities; directory submissions and improving the profile of the practices and developing strategy for participation in or planning of sponsorships, webinar/seminar series and major events. S/He takes an active role in learning about the practice and closely related practices. S/He helps developing projects to enhance the groups’ and the Firm’s internal knowledge about its clients and business in order to foster cross-selling.
Duties and Responsibilities
Proposals and Pitches
- Serves as lead project manager for RFPs and pitches (primarily in PowerPoint format), both for the primary practices and other groups, as necessary.
- Spearheads briefing discussions to propose and/or understand the opportunity.
- Writes new business proposals, conducts matters research and produces targeted, tailored responses to RFIs/RFPs.
- Supports follow-up, debrief activities post-pitch, and report them back to Firm.
Practice and Client Development
- In conjunction with the Senior Business Development and Marketing Manager and others, consults with Practice Area Team (PAT) leadership and key partners on development and coordination of marketing and client development plans for the group and individual lawyers within the PAT.
- Attends and contributes to PAT meetings and planning sessions.
- Develops and refines processes and procedures relating to the practices’ business development “infrastructure” (e.g., written collateral; database/matter lists; contact lists; opportunity tracking; etc.). Maintains an acute level of quality control to ensure that all marketing collateral, communications, deal or matter lists and the like are consistent, error-free and up to date. Ensures processes are efficient and the best possible use is made of available technology and other resources.
- Tracks and analyzes practice initiatives and how those initiatives impact the group’s budget and to provide evaluation of past initiatives to determine if there is sufficient ROI to repeat those initiatives.
- In conjunction with the Senior Business Development and Marketing Manager and others, evaluates the viability and probability of the development of business prospects and cross-marketing efforts of the practice groups.
- Coordinates with Market Intelligence team to conduct industry and client research to aid in practice development initiatives.
- Facilitates the planning, implementation and follow-up of new business or cross-marketing opportunities.
Other Marketing and Profile-raising Activities
- Leads practice areas’ submission of rankings, surveys, league tables and other ratings information.
- Works with marketing teams to plan Firm-sponsored and other co-hosted programs and events.
- Recommends and facilitates the involvement of Firm lawyers in professional organizations that will enhance the visibility of the lawyers and the Firm in global and industry platforms.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the Duties and Responsibilities (Duties) above satisfactorily and meet the requirements below. The requirements listed below are representative of the minimum knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Education and/or Experience
- At least five (5) years of experience in the legal arena and/or strategic planning, sales, market assessment or positioning in other professional services industries
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four year college or university
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Working knowledge of customer relationship management and other databases such as InterAction, S&P CapitalIQ, and Thomson One Banker/ SDC Platinum
- B.A. or J.D. a considerable plus
- Experience within a law firm environment
Other Skills and Abilities
- The following will also be required of the successful candidate:
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Good judgment
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Able to work harmoniously and effectively with others
- Able to preserve confidentiality and exercise discretion
- Able to work under pressure
- Able to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines and priorities
Salary: Highly competitive above market compensation
Date Active: 3.2.2021
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt