New York, NY
The Business Development and Marketing (“BD & M”) Specialist works closely with the Senior Business Development and Marketing Manager and other BD & M members to support the Restructuring Practice Group. The Specialist is a central part of the team and is involved in a variety of projects including: reviewing and maintaining data in the Firm’s experience management system; assisting in the creation and maintenance of business development and marketing collateral for the group, including pitches and web materials; coordinating drafts of directory submissions and client references; coordinating activities to improve the profile of the practices involving outside organizations, such as sponsorships and other major events. Takes an active role in learning about these legal groups and developing the group’s and the firm’s internal knowledge about its clients and business. The Business Development and Marketing Specialist also works closely with the other Business Development and Marketing Managers and Specialists in different offices to coordinate marketing efforts. It is essential that the Specialist is a self-starter, works independently with minimal support or oversight, works across offices and works well in a team environment.
Projects may include: collection and maintenance of intelligence on distressed business trends, and related client and matter opportunities; identification of trends in restructuring in terms of business development strategies, service offerings, pricing and profile building; assisting in the maintenance of business development and marketing collateral for the group (including experience databases); monitoring progress against planned priorities; preparing directory submissions, award nominations and other activities to raise the profile of the practices; securing panel and other appointments through the submission of written proposals/pitches; and developing strategies for participation in or planning of major events/sponsorships. S/He leads the development of projects to enhance the group’s and the Firm’s internal knowledge about its existing clients, target clients and overall business in order to foster cross-selling.
Duties and Responsibilities
Practice and Client Development
- Conducts or obtains targeted client and market research to aid in practice development initiatives, including through ongoing monitoring of developments in distress businesses and markets in key economic sectors.
- Maintains reliable intelligence on competitor firms and practitioners and identifies legal trends relevant to the practice.
- Together with the Senior Business Development and Marketing Manager, analyzes and presents market, client and competitive intelligence to practice leaders to inform and guide practice strategy.
- Facilitates the planning, implementation and follow-up of new business or cross-marketing opportunities.
- In conjunction with the Senior Business Development and Marketing Manager and others, consults with GPG (“Global Practice Group”) and PAT (“Practice Area Team”) leadership and key partners on development and coordination of marketing and client development plans for the group and individual lawyers within the PAT.
- Attends and contributes to PAT meetings and planning sessions.
Marketing and Profile-raising Activities
- Leads practice area’s submissions of rankings, surveys, league tables and other ratings information.
- Works with marketing teams to plan Firm-sponsored and other co-hosted programs and events.
- Recommends and facilitates the involvement of Firm lawyers in professional organizations that will enhance the visibility of the lawyers and the Firm in global and industry platforms.
Proposals and Pitches
- May serve as lead project manager for RFPs and pitches, both for the primary practices and other groups, as necessary.
- Spearheads briefing discussions to propose and/or understand the opportunity.
- Writes new business proposals, conducts matters research and produces targeted, tailored responses to RFIs/RFPs.
- Supports follow-up, debrief activities post-pitch, and report them back to Firm.
Education and/or Experience
- A minimum of four (4) years of professional marketing, business development, or other relevant experience
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Excellent analytical and research skills
- Excellent writing and proofreading skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Understanding of legal services and market knowledge related to restructuring
- Professional marketing or business development experience and/or strategic planning, sales, market assessment or positioning in a law firm or other professional services industry
- Working knowledge of customer relationship, pipeline, and experience management databases such as InterAction, Salesforce, and/or Foundation
- B.A. or J.D. a considerable plus
Other Skills and Abilities
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Good judgment
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Able to work harmoniously and effectively with others
- Able to preserve confidentiality and exercise discretion
- Able to work under pressure
- Able to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines and priorities
Salary: $75,000.00-$90,000.00, dependent on experience
Date Active: 8.6.2022
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt