San Francisco or Palo Alto
An Am Law 50 law firm with 17 offices worldwide, has an opening for a Business Development and Events Manager within their Marketing Group in their San Francisco or Palo Alto office.
Under the direction of the Firmwide Senior Manager of Client Events, and in close collaboration with the Client Relations and Business Development teams, leads the regional business development efforts in the San Francisco Bay Area. In this highly visible role in a key market for the firm, the Bay Area Business Development & Events Manager leads the regional Business Development Council (BDC) and efforts to host client events in the region. This role requires a creative thinker with a strategic, proactive mindset.
- Highly visible role requiring regular interaction with firm partners and clients. Serves as the main point of contact for Bay Area marketing, and provides insight on, and support for, client events in other regions as needed.
- Organizes monthly Bay Area BDC meetings, setting the agenda, reaching out to members ahead of time as needed to vet the agenda items, and leading and facilitating discussion during meetings.
- Leads execution of client events – both large, office-wide events and smaller, client-specific events – with the support of the Events team on logistics.
- Identifies potential new client events and executes on them. Thinks creatively about how to connect our attorneys with our clients in meaningful ways. Keeps abreast of the newest, most exciting venues and experiences in the Bay Area.
- Working closely with the Events team for support and coordination on logistics, oversees all aspects of planning and execution of client events.
- Communicates clearly and efficiently with Firm attorneys and clients about the event. Compiles targeted invitee lists with the input and approval of attorneys and the Business Development team.
- Prepares Firm event attendees with background materials (attendee profiles, etc.), as appropriate.
- Keeps the Business Development team apprised of upcoming and past client events.
- Creates and implements strategies for facilitating event follow-up.
- Manages partnerships with legal and business organizations in the region. Identifies speakers and attendees for events held with local organizations, develops new ways to partner together, and evaluates value of partnerships. Spearheads partnerships with new organizations, as appropriate.
- Manages the San Francisco and Palo Alto office budgets. Vets sponsorship opportunities with the Office Managing Partner and the Director of Administration. Supports certain aspects of sponsorships.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Seven years of experience in event planning and/or legal business development required; experience with large global law firm strongly preferred.
Teamwork and Applied Skills
- Extensive experience planning and executing successful client events. Strategic mindset in creating client events. Understanding of appropriate venues and experiences for law firm clients.
- Strong understanding of the marketing of client events, including building Salesforce campaigns, and successful follow-up strategies to maximize business development benefit.
- Ability to learn and demonstrate knowledge of the Firm, its clients, and its practices and to navigate throughout the firm.
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to present ideas clearly and concisely and to interact substantively with all individuals in the firm and to present ideas comfortably in public forums.
- Advanced writing and editing skills.
- Ability to lead cross-operationally, including outside of the Marketing Department.
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Strong leadership skills with a high level of maturity and the ability to gain the confidence and respect of partners, associates, staff, management, and clients.
- Ability to work in a team environment. Collaborative, team-oriented approach to working with others in the Marketing Department, in the Events team, and other Firm functions.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to achieve consensus with a wide range of viewpoints. Comfort in working with all levels in an environment of respect and full participation.
- Excellent execution and organizational skills, with strong attention to detail.
- Highly-motivated self-starter with the ability to independently set work objectives and methods; ability to timely and appropriately respond to urgent issues.
- Strong client-service orientation and work ethic with a commitment to excellence and the drive to achieve it.
- Ability to maintain sensitive and confidential information.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Salesforce with the ability to quickly learn and adapt to new technologies.
Date Active: 7.6.2022
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt