Business Development Analyst – Legal Directories
New York, NY
The Business Development Analyst, Legal Directories will help enhance the reputation of the firm, its practices and lawyers through legal directory rankings. Under the direction of the Director of Business Development (BD), the Analyst will work closely with the U.S. BD team and the European Directory Coordinator.
The Analyst will track deadlines and maintain calendar, serve as the main point person with researchers, create draft submissions, update relevant documentation and statistics, help train new BD team members on the process, and upload submissions for leading legal industry directories, including Chambers and Partners and Legal 500. The position provides an opportunity to help a world-class law firm maintain and raise its external profile to existing and potential clients, recruits and other audiences.
- The position involves the coordination of legal directory submissions, including:
- Monitoring directory websites to track deadlines, new submissions, changes in guidelines and other relevant communications from the legal directories;
- Sending regular communications to the Business Development team to keep them informed of deadlines and publication dates; maintaining tracking charts
- Working with the Directory Coordinator (based in London) to assist maintaining a global directory calendar and to assist preparing global submissions and profiles;
- Compiling all preparatory materials in advance of directory interviews (submissions, past years’ rankings, peer intelligence, etc.);
- Collaborating with Business Development team members to prepare initial drafts; take comments and revise directory submissions;
- Liaising with directory researchers to ensure the submission process runs smoothly and scheduling interviews between the researchers and partners;
- Encouraging lawyer communications with client references (post-submission); requesting reference response rates from researchers and collaborating with Business Development team members regarding reference follow-up;
- Corresponding with ranked lawyers regarding annual updates to profiles/bios, and uploading profiles;
- Creating and uploading master client reference spreadsheets, following protocols to maximize references for each submission and minimize duplication across submissions;
- Updating accolades chart to include practice and individual rankings and editorial quotes;
- Repurposing submissions for other directories and coordinating updates as appropriate;
- Tracking rankings changes from year to year, producing comparison tables and conducting research on competitors to support improved rankings and communicating positive results; and
- Assisting with directory-related research, as well as general BD projects as needed, including client briefs, competitive research, and pitches
- Bachelor’s Degree required, preferred focus in Marketing, Business Administration, Liberal Arts, or a related field
- 2-3 years of previous relevant experience; legal marketing or experience with coordinating surveys and ranking submissions desired
- Must be proficient in the use of MS-Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) and willing to learn and use new technologies.
- Excellent business writing and editing skills, including the ability to send concisely summarize detailed information;
- Extraordinary attention to detail and a commitment to providing error-free, targeted content;
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritize competing (and shifting) needs for a variety of projects while working under tight deadlines;
- Ability to work within a team and on own initiative;
- Strong administrative and organizational skills; and
- Ability to interact appropriately with all levels within the organization
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work overtime to meet operating needs; expected to monitor emails outside of normal business hours and be available as needed.
Salary: Competitive based on experience
Date Active: 4.27.2021
Exempt/Not Exempt: Non-Exempt