New York, NY or Chicago, IL
This role is open to candidates in Chicago and New York City.
The Billing Specialist assists attorneys with the preparation of bills for clients and performs follow up action on past due client accounts. He/she provides administrative and accounting support to attorneys and the Accounting department. The Billing Specialist answers billing questions and researches billing related issues, prepares and distributes billing proformas, invoices, and billing related reports. He/she manages client accounts according to the billing agreements and performs necessary maintenance and manages past due accounts, performing necessary follow up action, as needed. The Billing Specialist acts as the billing advisor to attorneys and insures that all transactions are recorded according to accounting standards.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs daily billing activities to support partners, attorneys, and clients. Responsibilities include but are not limited to Proforma generation and edits, creating timecard summaries, updating matter and Timekeeper rates, and running client reports at the request of the partners and attorneys.
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy, and acceptance of invoices on a monthly basis. Follow up with Billing partners and others in order to resolve client billing issues and ensure invoices are approved and billed.
- Understands and ensures correct implementation of client Outside Counsel Guidelines.
- Ensures electronic invoices (EDI) are processed accurately and efficiently.
- Demonstrates professional and developed communication skills. Ability to deal professionally and courteously with partners, attorneys, staff, vendors and clients of the Firm while observing confidentiality of client and Firm matters.
- Must be highly detail-oriented with the ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the Duties and Responsibilities (Duties) above satisfactorily and meet the requirements below. The requirements listed below are representative of the minimum knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or a minimum of two years of related experience
- Proficiency in MS Word and Excel
- Understanding of general accounting principles as they apply to Billings and A/R
- Excellent math aptitude
- Previous law firm experience
- Implementation of, or exposure to various client billing agreements
- Experience with electronic billing and electronic billing vendors
- Experience with Elite Enterprise or 3E, and ebilling Hub
- Other Skills and Abilities:
- The following will also be required of the successful candidate:
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Good judgment
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Able to work harmoniously and effectively with others
- Able to preserve confidentiality and exercise discretion
- Able to work under pressure
- Able to manage multiple projects with competing deadlines and priorities
Salary: Highly competitive above market merit based compensation
Date Active: 7.6.2021
Exempt/Not Exempt: Non-Exempt