Roseland, NJ or New York, NY
Preferred: 6+ years of attorney billing (Aderant software) experience in a law firm environment).
What You Will Do
The individual in this role ensures proper and accurate client billing in the life cycle of the firm revenue management. The individual in this role handles routine client billing and less complex client matter portfolios. The individual develops strong collaborative relationships with attorneys throughout full cycle of client billing. Excellent client services and satisfaction are required in all areas of the position.
Essential Job Requirements
- Responsible for complete ownership of the billing cycle for designated portfolios of client matters. Establishes, fosters, and maintains professional and collaborative relationships with attorneys, business services personnel, and clients to ensure compliance with both attorney and client specifications; supports all billing processes from engagement to bill posting with tact and diplomacy.
- Understands outside counsel guidelines and client agreed rates, ensure preparation of bills in accordance to the same
- Prepare work in process and bills according to alternative fee arrangements with accuracy; ensures fee arrangement is in line with the client’s outside counsel guidelines, monitors fee caps, tier discounts and matter budgets; escalates where potential issues might occur (delayed billings, exceeding fee cap, etc.).
- Coordinates prebill to final bill process; ensures that the Billing Partner receive accurate prebills and that they return their prebills in a timely manner. Submits finalized bills/eBills in appropriate template format, adhering to attorney and client specifications. Ensures final bills have been submitted to the client and are posted in financial system.
- Collaborates with the eBilling coordinator regarding new client and matter eBilling set-ups. Collaborates with Client onboarding manager to update appropriate fields of client information, according to client billing guidelines. Takes accountability for successful submission and troubleshooting issues. Proactively follows-up regarding acceptance and timely payment of eBills.
- Communicates directly with partners, their assistants and clients as requested, including following-up on ebilling revision and contacting clients as needed. Concisely communicates arrangements with Billing Partners and clients regarding their matters; provides clients with requested information on any special billing. Responds to all inquiries relating to same in a timely manner.
- Responds to inquiries relating to billing and payment information;recommends solutions based on billing trends relating to realization; with assistance and guidance prepares ad hoc reports upon request.
- Establishes effective back-up support processes (cross-training and knowledge transfer) to ensure seamless support for all portfolio matters; ensures adequate coverage when out of the office; communicates to co-workers and attorneys ahead of time; sets out-of-office messages.
- Participates in continuous improvement of processes for own portfolio and for the Client Account Specialist group as a whole; offers suggestions and seeks guidance to solve issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with lawyers, business services employees, and peers.
- Strong organizational and management skills and an ability to prioritize and complete simultaneous projects with minimal supervision.
- Experience working independently, within cross-functional teams, in a collaborative, professional environment.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Ability to prepare accurate and detailed work product.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Law firm accounting software experience, such as Aderant, is preferred
- Basic accounting and math skills to perform billing and reporting tasks.
- Excellent critical thinking skills and problem solving in addition to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Ability to focus attention on a task for some length of time is needed to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Exercises good judgment and decision making in performing essential function of position.
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business discipline preferred.
- Minimum three years dedicated specialized billing, collections or account management experience.
- Hands-on experience performing complex accounting analysis.
- Law Firm or professional services background preferred.
TEAMWORK AND APPLIED SKILLS
- High level of business acumen and ability to multi-task.
- Ability to assess pertinent information, anticipates issues and outcomes, and makes effective decisions.
- Talent for delivering client service through teamwork.
- Ability to exchange information, present ideas, and report in a clear and concise manner.
- Strong initiative to proactively increase value to the position.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage large amounts of data.
- Ability to organize time, prioritizes workload effectively, and works independently.
- High comfort level with sometimes stressful client requirements.
- Reliability, dependability, and strong motivation to respond to requests quickly.
Salary: Highly competitive above market experience
Date Active: 11.19.2020
Exempt/Not Exempt: Non-Exempt