Attorney Development Manager
New York, NY
The Attorney Development Manager is responsible for coordinating a broad range of attorney development and staffing activities for a given practice area (or areas) in the New York Office. This includes engaging practice group leaders in developing the firm’s attorneys to their highest potential, partnering with the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Team to ensure senior leadership accountability for a diverse talent pipeline, working with staffers to staff attorneys and manage their workloads, overseeing a robust performance review process, participating in strategic workforce planning, partnering with other human resources teams and practice development as well as supporting certain practice group administrative needs.
- Prepare review messages and performance summaries; coordinate/attend attorney review meetings and facilitate evaluation processes for the practice.
- Develop a professional relationship with each attorney, including an in-depth understanding of professional aspirations, experiences, strengths, development needs and relevant personal circumstances.
- Monitor attorney development to ensure attorneys are progressing along the practice area’s desired developmental trajectory and follow-up on development plans. Partner with practice group leaders to ensure attorneys are receiving clear and actionable feedback as well as going forward strategies to achieve their goals prior to the next formal review period.
- Work with the Learning and Development Team in defining and developing practice area specific programs to meet identified development needs.
- Coordinate with the Recruiting Team on new hires, summer program and mentor program.
- Ensure that the professional development needs of diverse attorneys, women and those on reduced schedules are being addressed.
- Ensure that each attorney is fully utilized within their area, having the opportunity to work on a variety of matters and with a variety of partners, while balancing development opportunities with client needs.
- Track, aggregate and analyze attorney metrics including availability information and utilization rates. Ensure consistency of experiences and equitable distribution of assignments across the practice area and intervene as appropriate.
- Conduct exit interviews with attorneys in the practice group. Track, aggregate and analyze information obtained and share with appropriate stakeholders.
- Recommend the Firm’s career resources as appropriate, and ensure forward progress on exit strategies.
- Collaborate with practice group leaders, and various Firm committees to plan for future workforce needs, capacity projections and target planning.
- Track vacation schedules to ensure that plans are in place for coverage.
- Cull and synthesize information for practice leader, including missing time, status of reviews and distribution of workload.
- Ensure the successful communication of firm updates and offerings to attorneys in the practice.
- Manage information flow in the required systems and policy compliance, e.g., bar admission status updates, mentor assignments, time recording compliance.
- Bachelor’s degree required; J.D. or other relevant advanced degree a plus.
- At least 6 years’ of relevant law firm or professional services experience with significant experience in delivering HR and professional development services.
- Established proficiency in the use of computer programs including Microsoft Office, particularly Excel. Knowledge of viDesktop is a plus.
- Strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently and flexibly, managing multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to command the respect of the attorneys.
- Sound judgment and ability to respect, protect and maintain highly confidential and sensitive information.
- Ability to assimilate information quickly in order to grasp larger concepts as well as details.
- Energetic orientation; be driven to and energized by accomplishment.
- Ability to respond quickly and positively to shifting demands and opportunities; and have the ability to work under tight deadlines and handle multiple, detailed tasks.
- Ability to anticipate problems and issues and exercise independent judgment in seeking a resolution.
Salary: Competitive based on experience
Date Active: 2.23.2021
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt