New York, NY
Provide expertise and guidance to attorneys on litigation docketing, court rules and legal procedures as they relate to court functions and calendaring.
Primary Responsibilities and/or Essential Functions
- Collaborate with other personnel in the Managing Attorney’s Office to maintain litigation docket and calendar.
- Ensure compliance and record all incoming and outgoing documents in docket database and calculate and record procedural deadlines and due dates.
- Responsible for electronic filings in assigned courts. Must be familiar with and keep up to date on all filing rules, procedures and judge’s individual practices.
- Manage all case-specific information in responsible jurisdictions.
- Monitor case progress in assigned courts, obtain decisions and orders, obtain docket updates and communicate case status changes to responsible attorneys.
- Effectively communicate and present information as well as respond to procedural inquiries and questions from attorneys and staff.
- Liaise with court personnel.
- Establish and manage an internal timetable for completing work assignments and docketing deadlines in a timely and accurate fashion.
- Respond to procedural inquiries and questions, including court research at the direction of attorneys and staff.
- Collaborate with personnel in the Managing Attorney’s Office to complete ongoing work projects such as, Docket Audits, Outstanding Motions Lists, Appeals Lists, Business Development Lists, etc.
- Keep current on industry standards and determine if procedures need to be updated. Read NYLJ, eLaw, and case tracking databases for activity in ongoing litigation.
Knowledge, Skills & Ability
- Proficient in searching and retrieving information from court-related databases (e.g. Courtlink, PACER, eLaw, CourtAlert) and other on-line sources of case information.
- Possess excellent customer service, communication and organizational skills.
- Working knowledge of docket management software (e.g., CourtAlert, eDockets, Compulaw or equivalent).
- Must be highly familiar with litigation practice and able to quickly and accurately determine which filings and documents trigger future deadlines.
- Must be comfortable and familiar with locating, accessing and navigating various court websites and databases.
- Law firm or Law Clerk in State and/or Federal court experience is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 5 years of relevant experience in a large law firm or judicial setting equivalent.
Salary: $110,000.00-$120,000.00, dependent on experience
Date Active: 4.22.2022
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt