New York, NY or Washington, DC
Provide expertise and guidance to attorneys on litigation docketing, court rules and legal procedures as they relate to court functions and calendaring.
Primary Responsibilities and/or Essential Functions
- Collaborate with other personnel in the Managing Attorney’s Office to maintain litigation docket and calendar.
- Ensure compliance and record all incoming and outgoing documents in docket database and calculate and record procedural deadlines and due dates.
- Responsible for electronic filings in assigned courts. Must be familiar with and keep up to date on all filing rules, procedures and judge’s individual practices.
- Manage all case-specific information in responsible jurisdictions.
- Monitor case progress in assigned courts, obtain decisions and orders, obtain docket updates and communicate case status changes to responsible attorneys.
- Effectively communicate and present information as well as respond to procedural inquiries and questions from attorneys and staff.
- Liaise with court personnel.
- Establish and manage an internal timetable for completing work assignments and docketing deadlines in a timely and accurate fashion.
- Respond to procedural inquiries and questions, including court research at the direction of attorneys and staff.
- Collaborate with personnel in the Managing Attorney’s Office to complete ongoing work projects such as, Docket Audits, Outstanding Motions Lists, Appeals Lists, Business Development Lists, etc.
- Keep current on industry standards and determine if procedures need to be updated. Read NYLJ, eLaw, and case tracking databases for activity in ongoing litigation.
Knowledge, Skills & Ability
- Proficient in searching and retrieving information from court-related databases (e.g. Courtlink, PACER, eLaw, CourtAlert) and other on-line sources of case information.
- Possess excellent customer service, communication and organizational skills.
- Working knowledge of docket management software (e.g., CourtAlert, eDockets, Compulaw or equivalent).
- Must be highly familiar with litigation practice and able to quickly and accurately determine which filings and documents trigger future deadlines.
- Must be comfortable and familiar with locating, accessing and navigating various court websites and databases.
- Law firm or Law Clerk in State and/or Federal court experience is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 5 years of relevant experience in a large law firm or judicial setting equivalent.
Salary: Highly competitive above market merit based compensation
Date Active: 8.4.2021
Exempt/Not Exempt: Non-Exempt