Washington, DC or New York, NY
The Research Services Department has an opening for an Assistant Manager of Research Operations to join our energetic, creative, and service-oriented global team. This position is best located in the DC office, but we will consider excellent candidates working from our NY office. The Assistant Manager of Research Operations will work as part of the management team to transition the firm’s print collections to digital alternatives and to develop new services in that environment and will assist the Manager with unit project management and oversight. The Assistant Manager has primary responsibility for supervising the Print Team who manage print resources in all offices. This team handles print acquisitions, processes invoices and transactional research allocations, and completes all tasks related to the physical library collections and attorney deskbooks. The successful candidate will be someone who enjoys managing people and projects and working with a team across the globe, and is highly proficient using Excel.
- Working with the Manager of Research Operations to manage unit services and to develop and document policies, procedures, and other best practices to support unit activities.
- Serving as the main point of contact in the Manager’s absence.
- Directly supervising staff members engaged in the designated technical services systems, operations and activities (print acquisitions, processing, serials control, routing, and circulation) firm-wide to ensure the delivery of consistent and high-quality service.
- Managing the deskbook program, including acquisition requests, audits and adjusting subscription counts.
- Serving as the primary point of contact for overseeing and troubleshooting activities related to print materials, including space planning, weeding, and rebalancing the print collections.
- Managing the relationships with our major vendors of Thomson Reuters, Lexis, and Wolters Kluwer and developing an understanding of the evolving use of print resources in our offices firm-wide.
- Collecting, analyzing, and reporting data related to the designated systems and operations and using that data to recommend changes in operations.
- Assisting with data collection and budget recommendations and monitoring expenditures for activities related to the designated systems and operations.
- Establishing relationships and serving as a liaison internally with administrative staff and externally with vendors and colleagues.
- Maintaining current knowledge of developments in technical services, resource management, library technology and systems, and resources relevant to the Firm’s practice.
- Sharing knowledge by contributing to internal knowledge sharing systems, reporting at meetings, teaching, and other means.
- MLS or equivalent degree from an ALA accredited school.
- Minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience, including significant experience in a law firm or corporate information center and a minimum of three (3) years of management experience, including supervision of personnel and project management. Law firm experience is strongly preferred.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced environment using good judgment.
- Ability to work with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail in a busy office environment.
- Strong organizational and planning skills.
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate, in oral and written form, with individuals at all levels within the Firm and outside the Firm.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently.
- Must demonstrate a high degree of trustworthiness commensurate to handling confidential and sensitive material.
- High proficiency in integrated library system software, MS Word and Excel; ability to efficiently search the Internet and experience working in databases.
- Solid knowledge of legal publishing industry and players and of the organization of legal materials.
- Reliability, dependability, and strong motivation to respond to requests quickly.
- Flexibility to work additional hours, as necessary.
Salary: Competitive based on experience
Date Active: 2.5.2021
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt