Public Relations Specialist
New York, NY
A top global law firm is seeking a Public Relations Specialist to join our team of communications and marketing professionals. The media and communications operations are viewed as key components and effective drivers of the firm’s integrated marketing and business development strategy. For a media professional with keen collaborative skills, confidence and a thoughtful, creative approach, the position offers an opportunity to make meaningful contributions at one of the world’s most respected law firms.
The Public Relations Specialist will leverage their experience to help implement various communications and public relations initiatives designed to communicate effectively to key internal and external audiences. Reporting to the Senior Public Relations Manager and working closely with other senior department team members, the Public Relations Specialist will contribute to the daily communications and media team functions as well as broader strategic objectives and business development initiatives.
The Public Relations Specialist will leverage their skills, experience and understanding of the competitive market landscape to contribute to the strategic planning and implementation of communications goals and objectives of the firm. The Public Relations Specialist role will include these and other critical functions:
- Assisting in the development and implementation of integrated communications plans to raise the profile of the firm’s lawyers and practice groups.
- Staying abreast of the best practices, systems and processes, market intelligence and industry trends, to make informed recommendations for the advancement of the firm’s media and communications initiatives.
- Leading the ongoing collection, analysis and reporting of PR team KPI data.
- Monitoring for media coverage and spearheading the drafting and distribution of the firm’s various news coverage reports.
- Helping to foster mutually beneficial and professional relationships with external media.
- Vetting media inquiries and directing them to appropriate spokespeople for consideration.
- Preparing briefing materials and guidance in advance of lawyer media interviews and meetings.
- Drafting and distributing press releases, deal and matter announcements, and general media advisories.
- Developing and maintaining a systematic approach to maximizing firm thought leadership opportunities (speaking engagements, media commentary, lawyer-authored articles).
- Identifying opportunities for placement of lawyer-authored articles; pitching and placing those articles.
- Drafting and coordinating award entries and survey submissions and facilitating related interviews, as required.
- In coordination with the Business Development teams, developing and maintaining editorial calendars for target publications relating to various practice areas.
- Working closely with Business Development and Events teams to leverage U.S. and international events and seminar programs to raise awareness of firm lawyers and practice areas.
- Completing special projects as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or liberal arts.
- Five years of experience in public/media relations or corporate communications. Law firm or other professional services environment preferred.
- The Public Relations Specialist position requires a high-energy, motivated team player who is also able to work independently and demonstrate the ability to adapt to change and balance competing demands, and the flexibility to manage demands outside of traditional business hours. Exemplary communication skills, both written and verbal, are required, including the ability to proofread and edit copy.
- Exceptional professional and interpersonal skills, demonstrating the ability to interact effectively with people at all organizational levels of the firm, including partners and executive leadership.
- Excellent time-management skills and the ability to simultaneously handle multiple projects and deadlines, effectively manage changing priorities and adjust accordingly.
- Outstanding organizational, planning and problem-solving skills.
- Self-starter with an excellent work ethic and a positive, proactive style as well as the judgment and discretion to handle sensitive matters.
Salary: Competitive based on salary
Date Active: 1.4.2022
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt