Director of Legal Recruitment
New York, Boston, DC
Develops and implements the firm’s lawyer recruitment functions and communications including, but not limited to, the execution of the firm’s summer programs, law school recruitment and non-partner lateral hiring as well as additional projects upon request. Leads, supervises, develops, and trains legal recruitment managers, coordinators, and assistants.
Actively provides client service by participating in the firm’s Service Excellence initiative. Ensures that staff members are providing quality service to internal members/departments of the firm as well as external clients and vendors by displaying professionalism via electronic and print correspondence, over the telephone and in-person and by encouraging an atmosphere that rewards a “can do” attitude.
Guides and supports the legal recruiting team in their partnership with office level hiring chairs and committees, as well as department and practice group leaders, to ensure excellent delivery of legal recruiting services and resources firm wide.
- Fosters a positive working environment and structure for the legal recruiting team that promotes productivity, efficiency, responsiveness, local and cross-office teamwork, high staff morale, and professional excellence.
- Develops “state-of-the-art” reporting and data tracking systems to provide regular updates and analysis to firm leadership and to support the firm’s strategic initiatives for talent management and resourcing.
- Stays abreast of market and competitor developments to provide strategic advice on lawyer recruiting trends to firm leadership and to help align recruitment efforts, best practices, and strategy across offices.
- Works closely with Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) team to develop innovative attorney candidate pipeline programs and support the firm’s DEI strategy overall.
- Ensures accuracy of recruitment and interview process data and assists with Affirmative Action Plan compliance and reporting.
- In alignment with the firm’s strategic goals and objectives manages the firm-wide Legal Recruitment and Summer Associate budget.
- In conjunction with the Director of Legal Personnel and Development and the Director of Professional Development and Training, develops robust onboarding process for all attorneys and programming for summer associates.
Summer Associate Program/ Law School and Judicial Clerk Recruitment
- Proposes and implements strategy for law student outreach and student program(s) through communications with law school placement offices, email campaigns to 1Ls, contact with student groups, and other means.
- Designs, manages, and evaluates all aspects of the firm’s Summer Associate Program including, pre-arrival processes and communications, orientation, mentoring program with partners and associates, social and community service events, diversity initiatives, educational and special firm programming. Manages the firm-wide Recruiting team to execute and implement the ten-week summer associate program.
- In conjunction with Hiring Partners, Summer Program Co-Chairs, Recruitment Managers and Practice Managers, generates interest and solicits substantive summer associate work assignments and observational opportunities from the firm’s practice areas and pro bono programs.
- In conjunction with Hiring Partners, manages the evaluation and offer process for summer associates.
- Effectively and efficiently manages the judicial clerk and law school student recruitment on-campus process including supporting efforts for the firm’s branding initiatives and targeted law school communications.
- With the Hiring Partners, Recruiting Managers and Hiring Committees, oversees successful on-campus and in-office interviewing, effective offer extension and follow up. Successfully meets firm-wide hiring targets for offices.
- Responsible for ensuring consistent application of firm-wide recruitment policies and procedures.
- With the Hiring Committees and Diversity Committees, ensures the hiring of a diverse summer associate class.
Non-Partner Lateral Attorney Hiring
- Ensures the excellent and consistent delivery of lateral non-partner hiring services globally throughout the Firm.
- In collaboration with the Department/Practice Group leaders, Practice Management team, and Recruitment Managers, manages all aspects of the lateral non-partner hiring process, including: performing department/practice group specific needs assessments; engaging appropriate search firms; identifying candidates and appropriately vetting them; facilitating strategy meetings and calls with Department and Practice Group leadership; collaborating with New Business in the conflicts and lateral due diligence process; and ensuring the successful offer process as well as new hire orientation and integration into the Firm.
- Serves as the firm’s relationship manager with key market contacts, including search firms, in the firm’s major geographic locations. Continually source and develop these relationships to ensure meaningful engagement and dialogue that is differentiated from our competitors.
- Analyzes data (including internal and market data) and reports on metrics for lateral non-partner hiring. Stays abreast of compensation and trends.
- Strong leadership and management skills are required.
- Strong attention to detail, excellent written and analytical skills, and ability to multi-task are required.
- Strong oral communication and inter-personal skills are required.
- Ability to work in a team environment is critical. Motivation and drive are important.
- Successful time management skills are required.
- Strong technical skills on the following applications preferred: Excel, PowerPoint, LawCruit, viDesktop.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- A minimum of five years of management experience and eight years of relevant legal, personnel or recruitment experience.
- Ability to juggle multiple responsibilities, excellent attention to detail; ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and organizational skills.
Salary: Competitive based on experience
Date Active: 10.14.2021
Exempt/Not Exempt: Exempt